historicalpine001012.gif
historicalpine001010.gif
historicalpine001009.gif
historicalpine001007.gif
...the Alps of Texas!
historicalpine001005.gif
Home
Preserve America Award
Wall of Pioneers
Historic Walking Tour

Photos of Alpine
Historic Photos
Advisory Board
Area Links
Contact Us

Tour of Homes Archive

preserveamerica2.jpg

OUR MISSION: Historic Alpine is in partnership with the city of Alpine and the Texas Historic Commission and is dedicated to historic preservation, rehabilitation, beautification and promotion of sustainable economic development for downtown Alpine, Texas.
historicalpine001002.gif

2014 CHRISTMAS TOUR OF HOMES CANCELED

      October 15, 2014 - Due to unforeseen and uncontrollable circumstances , the Historic Alpine, Inc. Board of Directors has voted to cancel the  2014 Christmas Tour of Homes. Board members expressed regret and a desire to resurrect the popular tour in 2015.


HISTORIC ALPINE RECEIVES $5K GRANT

     June 1, 2014 - Recently, Historic Alpine Inc. received a grant of $5,000 from the Union Pacific Foundation providing the funds needed to complete the organization's Wall of Pioneer project. The grant will enable the creation and installation of plaques commemorating Alpine and Brewster County pioneer families and the completion of brick inlays adjoining the wall. Other enhancements will be considered in the future pending available funds.



CITY AND COUNTY HISTORIES ADDED
TO THE WALL OF PIONEERS

Alpine Plaque Brewster County Plaque
      June 9, 2014 - The Board of Directors of Historic Alpine, Inc., a non-profit corporation, has approved and installed two 20” x 30” plaques on the Wall of Pioneers in Alpine. The first, a brief history of Alpine, was placed on the eastern-most pillar located on the corner of 5th Street and Holland Avenue. The second, a brief history of Brewster County, was attached to the western-most pillar at the corner of Holland and 6th Street. Both are cast aluminum with metal colored lettering on a dark background. The plaques were graciously affixed to the Wall by the City of Alpine.
     Historic Alpine President Kip Sullivan said recently, “The next step will be the placement of a number of plaques honoring the pioneer families of Alpine and Brewster County.”
     The data confirmation is currently being finalized through the efforts of Carol Lewis, a Historic Alpine Board member, with her compilations being deposited in the Archives of the Big Bend at Sul Ross State University once the plaques are installed. Hence, her documentation will become a valuable tool for those conducting research on early settlers of Alpine and Brewster County.
     The Wall of Pioneers project has been funded through local contributions and grants from the Union Pacific Railroad. The Wall borders the Union Pacific Depot parking lot and Holland Avenue between 5th and 6th street and has become a reality through a handful of dedicated Alpine residents.



2013 CHRISTMAS TOUR OF HISTORIC HOMES
Took Place December 15

Homes and Buildings on the 2013 Christmas Tour Were:

First United Methodist Church
208 East Sul Ross Avenue

The history of the First United Methodist Church in Alpine is notable. The Methodists were the first religious group to organize a church in Murphyville (Alpine).
 For a complete description
Irene Rogers Peters Home
702 East Holland Avenue

This small, blue wooden-framed bungalow with white trimmed windows, an inviting front porch was built before 1910. With only a few modernized additions, the home looks much as it did over a hundred years ago..
For a complete description
D.M. "Nig" Benett Home
709 E. Lockhart
    This historic home sits on property once owned by William Box Hancock, one of Alpine’s earliest and most successful citizens. Records show he sold the house to the D. M. “Nig” Bennett family for $7000.
For a complete description
Jim P. Parker Home
402 E. Lockhart
    In 1899, Susan Craig Goodwin, a widow from Arkansas, and her three grown sons fled to Texas after outlaws had murdered her husband. It is possible that her son Robert, who was a carpenter by trade, built this Craftsman two-story, stucco bungalow between 1910 and 1920.
For a complete description
Gage-Van Sickle Home
109 North 3rd Street

The history of this property begins with the purchase of 14 lots for $875 in 1886 by Edward L. Gage from Thomas O. Murphy and his father Daniel, Murphyville [Alpine] founders.
For a complete description
 Dr. Joel E. Wright Home
401 South Dawson Street

This residential home was constructed (ca. 1912) for the Joe S. Hord family in the Means Addition. The site was part of a deed by Presidio County to Thomas Murphy in 1885.
For a complete description

T-Shirts from Historic Alpine

T-shirt design

"Alpine, Texas: Home of the Last Frontier"

T-Shirts are $15 ea. for S, M, L, XL and
$20 ea. for XXL and XXXL. Include $3 S&H.
Colors are Brown and Light Blue as pictured.

To order please indicate size/color and send
a check or money order to:

Historic Alpine
P.O. Box 304
Alpine, Texas 79831

Make checks payable to "Historic Alpine"
For information by email: quetzalimports@sbcglobal.net
T-shirt sales benefit Historic Alpine and its Wall of Pioneers project.